Monday, November 19, 2012

Is God Giving You the Desires of Your Heart?

Is God giving you the desires of your heart?  Could it be that He is not because you are not delighting in him?  The Scripture says in Psalm 37:4:


"Delight yourself in the LORD, 
and He will give you the desires of your heart."

What does this mean?  Perhaps Psalm 1:1-2 can spell it out a little better for you:


Blessed is the one who does not walk 
in step with the wicked or 
stand in the way that sinners take 
or sit in the company of mockers, 
but whose delight is in 
the law of the LORD, 
and who meditates on His law 
day and night."

This seems to say that if you pay attention to the letter of the law that you are delighting in the Lord . . . Really?!  Does it really say be legalistic?  Does God want me to stand in judgment of others?  No!  Not at all!  It says


"How well God must like you!  
You don't hang out at Sin Saloon, 
you don't slink along Dead-End Road, 
you don't go to Smart-Mouth College.  
Instead you thrill to God's Word, 
you chew on Scripture day and night." 
 (Psalm 1:1-2, paraphrase from The Message)  

O Christian, if you have been hanging out with friends who you know are not good for you, participating in their gossiping or their grumbling; drinking from their critical spirit potions; or listening to those who mock the things of God; God is not going to give you the desires of your heart.   Because your heart is in the wrong place!  (And yes, this group of friends could be sitting on the pews next to you every Sunday!  Ask me how I know.)  

Or maybe it's not friends, but just the people you work with who have the critical spirit, the gossiping tongue, the sharks circling waiting for the prey.  Perhaps it's rubbing off on you because it's all you ever hear.  All you ever see.  All that is ever modeled for you.  

If you are giving credence to something that one of your favorite movie stars is saying, and you know that they are a mocker of Jesus Christ, that is not what you should be doing!  If you are Christian, you know it's true.  Turn off the television, put down the rag mags (magazines for those who are wondering what that is . . . ) and pick up the Word of God.  Start reading God's Love Letter written especially to you!  It will change  your life!  

If you are just spinning your wheels and going through the motions - playing dress up and playing church - please wake up and hear God calling you to repent and turn back to him!  Please hear His plea for you to come unto Him.  He wants to give you the desires of your heart, but He also wants your desires to be what He desires for you.  He is the Perfect Parent - He is not going to give you something that is bad for you!  No matter how much you think you want it.  Wake up before it's too late.  Your Heavenly Father loves you and He is calling you to come unto Him.  

Here I am to Worship with O Come, All Ye Faithful 
by Tim Hughes with O Come All Ye Faithful incorporated in, arranged David Angerman

Light of the world
You stepped down into darkness
Opened my eyes, let me see
Beauty that made this heart adore You
Hope of a life spent with You

Here I am to worship
Here I am to bow down
Here I am to say that You're my God
You're altogether lovely, altogether worthy, altogether wonderful to me

King of all days, oh, so highly exalted
glorious in heaven above
Humbly You came to the earth You created
All for love's sake became poor

Here I am to worship
Here I am to bow down
Here I am to say that You're my God
You're altogether lovely, altogether worthy, altogether wonderful to me

O come, all ye faithful joyful and triumphant
O come ye, O come ye to Bethlehem
Come and behold Him
Born the King of angels

Here I am to worship
Here I am to bow down
Here I am to say that You're my God
You're altogether lovely, altogether worthy, altogether wonderful to me

Here I am to worship
Here I am to bow down
Here I am to say that You're my God

O come let us adore Him
O come let us adore Him
O come let us adore Him
Christ the Lord! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments and insights...