Saturday, November 10, 2012

Are You Living the American Dream or the Heaven Dream?

Have you bought into the American Dream?  Do you own it lock, stock and barrel?  How’s that working for ya?  

Have you ever considered that the “American Dream” doesn’t satisfy because you weren’t designed for the American Dream?  

The American Dream is not all that it’s made out to be.  Very few people ever truly achieve it.  Oh, they look like they have achieved it, but in reality the bank owns the home; the bank owns the cars; the boat, the vacation condo, the country club memberships, the clothes, etc., etc.  The kids have to stay with nannies or daycares because both parents are enslaved to the task of acquiring the almighty dollar to pay for the stuff which they don’t ever feel they have enough of.  The American Dream has turned into the American Nightmare!  (Do you hear that sound?  It’s the dramatic screeching sound of the horror movie most are living in.)

Dear Christian, have you forgotten that you were designed for the Heaven Dream?  The one where there is peace, rest and the security of knowing that you are being held by your loving God.  It’s the safest place to be.  So why are we all acting like toddlers and preschoolers by running away from our loving parent – you know, the One who created us and called us His own?  We run as fast as we can, giggling the whole time, straight into the danger He is desperate to protect us from.  Why do we do that?  Look at yourself – you are not cute anymore, the cuteness wore off of this game a long time ago. 

There is nothing wrong with acquiring stuff.  It's fun.  There's nothing wrong with liking nice things.  I like nice things.  But just because I like it and I think it's fun isn't the reason why it's not wrong to acquire it.  It's not wrong when the stuff is just that - stuff.  It's not the end-all goal of life.  We are not Madame Blueberry from VeggieTales gorging out on more stuff until our world explodes!


It’s not the American Dream that we need to strive for, it’s the Heaven Dream that we need to long for.  Problem is not many even know what the Heaven Dream is or how great it is.  It’s our job to tell them!  Not just tell them, but show them!  And love them right into the Kingdom!

I like to think I have acquired the Heaven Dream.  Let me describe it for you.  It's the place where I know I am loved beyond all measure.  It's the place where I long to be - with my Heavenly Father, Abba Father - that means "Daddy" - surrounded by all the riches of Heaven.  I have acquired it because I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.  He knows me personally.  But more importantly, I know Him personally!  We are on a first name basis.  If I walked up to His house and pushed the doorbell, He'd open the door wide and welcome me in.  He knows my name, He knows my desires, He knows me better than I know myself.  

I want everyone I know to acquire the Heaven Dream too.  That way I can be surrounded by my treasures, and we can forever, forever worship Him together.  

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, 
and where thieves break in and steal.  
But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven,
where moth and rust do not destroy, 
and where thieves do not break in and steal.
For where your treasure is, 
there your heart will be also."  Matthew 6:19-21


I Can Only Imagine by Mercy Me

I can only imagine what it will be like
When I walk by Your side
I can only imagine what my eyes will see
When Your face is before me
I can only imagine
Yeah

Surrounded by Your glory
What will my heart feel?
Will I dance for You Jesus?
Or in awe of You be still?

Will I stand in Your presence
Or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing, Hallelujah?
Will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine
I can only imagine

I can only imagine when that day comes
And I find myself standing in the sun
I can only imagine when all I will do
Is forever, forever worship You
I can only imagine, yeah
I can only imagine

Surrounded by Your glory
What will my heart feel?
Will I dance for You Jesus?
Or in awe of You be still?

Will I stand in Your presence
Or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing, Hallelujah?
Will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine
I can only imagine

Surrounded by Your glory
What will my heart feel?
Will I dance for You Jesus?
Or in awe of You be still?

Will I stand in Your presence
Or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing, Hallelujah?
Will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine
I can only imagine

I can only imagine, yeah
I can only imagine
I can only imagine
I can only imagine

I can only imagine
When all I would do
Is forever, forever worship You
I can only imagine.

2 comments:

  1. I am just getting back to the land of the cyber living after my wonderful retreat from it all.

    You had shared a bit of this with me, but I love the way you put it in here. You are SO RIGHT that we must store up our treasures in Heaven. You're also right about so many "thinking" that they "own" the American dream, but in reality it kind of owns them.

    Makes me think of the treasure I just taught this weekend, a time to scatter stones... How many of our stones have turned out to be stones of offense.

    Keep writing! It is good for the soul!

    Love,
    The Bully Sunday School teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do realize you just dubbed yourself, right?! I kinda like it... The Bully Sunday School Teacher (BSST for short...)

    I also want to hear about those scattered stones... you've intrigued me! If I hadn't been so sick I would have retreated with you and heard it first hand... sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comments and insights...