Sunday, December 2, 2012

Who Are the Superheroes in Your Life, Part 2

I knew this would happen . . . if I started naming superheroes in my life then I would inadvertently forget some.  God brought several more to my mind, and so I want to revisit this topic if I may.

God brought to mind the young wives and new mothers whom He has placed in my life even now when my own beautiful daughters are getting ready to test their wings on their own and leave my nest.  These young wives and mothers are so godly, and so obviously adore the husband and the children God has entrusted them with.  They have their acts put together so much more than I did at their age.  I wonder if God will let me grow up to be like them.

There are spiritual sisters who walk the same path I am on, perhaps in the same season of life or have just been through my season, who share with me the lessons they have learned along the way, and empathize with me about the things of life that concern me.  They get it, they get me, they understand where I am and are willing to hold me accountable to be the person, the wife and mother that God has called me to be.  They let me know that I am not alone in my struggles and trials.

There is the couple who we affectionately call the Blueberry Couple.  They own a blueberry bush grove and a garden that they have shared with us; filling our freezer to the brim with all sorts of wonderful bounty from their garden.  They act as if God gave us to them to raise!    I have watched them give out of the abundance that God has given them, freely and cheerfully.  What joy they have in their hearts when doing so.  There are others who have shared from the bounty of their gardens, or their finances.  They have shared with me recipes and given me the know-how to prepare jelly and other yummy stuff to fill my family's bellies. 

There are the older, wiser women whom God has placed in my life to encourage me in loving my husband and children.  And the older, wiser men who are grandfatherly in their ways, but wise beyond words.  They inspire me to do more, to love more, to long more for the abundant life God has in mind for me.  They all touch my life in their own life-changing way.

"You, however, must teach what is appropriate to
sound doctrine.  Teach the older men to be
temperate, worthy of respect, self-controlled, 
and sound in faith, in love and in endurance.  

Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in 
the way they live, not to be slanderers 
or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. 

Then they can urge the younger women 
to love their husbands and children, 
to be self-controlled and pure, 
to be busy at home, to be kind, and 
to be subject to their husbands, 
so that no one will malign 
the Word of God.

Similarly, encourage the young men 
to be self-controlled.  In everything set
them an example by doing what is good.
In your teaching show integrity,
seriousness and soundness of speech that
cannot be condemned, so that those who
oppose you may be ashamed because they
have nothing bad to say about us." 
 Titus 2:1-8



Of course, I hope you know, Dear Reader, that there are many superheroes that God places in your life that you may not even know are there, or that you don't acknowledge.  Perhaps they have disappointed you in some way, so they don't qualify in your eyes as a superhero.  Just like in the movie The Incredibles, the little boy who grew up to be Syndrome (Mr. Incredibles nemesis) was so enamored with Mr. Incredible; but when Mr. Incredible told him to beat it, and the little boy went off and went down the wrong path - perhaps that is what you did when your superhero disappointed you.

But, I am here to testify that God can redeem that superhero to you.  He can even redeem you if you have traveled down the path that has led you so deep in the wilderness that you don't think you will ever see the light of day again.  All you need to do is to call out to Him, and He will lovingly take your hand and lead you back to the straight and narrow path that leads to abundant living.  

Don't you want to call out to Him today?  He is waiting for you.  And He loves you so.       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments and insights...