Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Are You Having Fun Yet? Or Are You Too Busy to Have Fun?

My very favorite Bossy Sunday School Teacher, (BSST) has been teaching about Advent recently.  Advent means "coming," and is a term that is not found in the Bible, but generally is taught in some churches (Catholic, Lutheran, etc.) as a tradition of looking to the coming of Christ, leading up to the celebration of Christ's birth.  More and more churches are beginning to teach their members about the beauty of Advent, using families or individuals in the church to light a candle in the Advent wreath each Sunday.

The first lesson was on the first candle of Advent, often called the "Hope Candle".  She brought out all the different Hebrew words for "hope" in the Bible.  It was a very good lesson, very insightful, and it made me think.  That's one thing I love about BSST - she always seems to be able to draw out the true meanings of the words used in the original text, whether it be Hebrew or Greek.  It's been there all the time, but because the English language uses one word for many meanings, it can get kind of muddy when trying to read the Bible from your perspective and knowledge of a word.  

The second lesson was on the second candle of Advent, called many different things, but the focus she put on it was the "Candle of the Way".  Like I said, most churches and Christians consider Advent to be a reminder of the "coming of the Christ child."  This candle is a reminder of the "way" Christ came to earth.  But, an even deeper, clearer meaning of this candle would be to remind Christians (and everyone on earth!) that Jesus Christ is coming again! - this time to take His Bride home to be with Him forever and ever in Heaven.

All of that is beautiful in itself, especially if you, O Reader, are a Christian and like me, are looking for His Second Coming.  But . . . (you knew there was a "but" coming, right?!)  My Bossy Sunday School Teacher didn't just leave it there.  Oh no!  BSST proceeded to stomp all over my toes about being too busy to pay attention to the true meaning of Advent.  She said we should be focusing ourselves on "preparing the Way of the Lord" rather than on busying ourselves preparing our homes for a holiday party!

And, she is so right!  

After priding myself on the wonderful love I have for my Savior, God used BSST's lesson to show me where I have been so busy preparing my home for Christmas - cleaning, decorating, plotting and planning Christmas surprises for under the tree, planning and inviting guests to come to a party of sorts, gathering items and making lists of menu items and what-nots, etc. - that I have pretty much just told Jesus to take a number - "sit over there and be patient, I'll get around to you."

What?!  Me - a pastor's wife!  I've been found to have that attitude towards Jesus?!  Sad to say, but yes, that is one of my crimes of the past few weeks.  Oh, sure, I've decorated my home with Nativity scenes.  I've broken out the Jesse Tree ornaments my beautiful daughters and I made eons ago (seems like only yesterday) to arrange in a special place on the wall and plan to hang on a garland over the door the Names of God ornaments My Fair Lady made a few years back.  I've even given my "Merry Christmas" button pin to the cashier at the grocery store.  But, I've told Jesus to take a back seat to my preparations.  I've neglected to spend time with Him while I prepare to celebrate His birth.  I've been spending too much time living in the present to take notice of the greatest present of all - God's gift to me (and you, if you will accept it) of His most precious Treasure of Heaven, His One and Only Son, the Savior of the world, the WAY, the Truth and the Life, Jesus Christ.

"Thomas said to Him, 
'Lord, we don't know where you are going,
so how can we know the way?'

Jesus answered, 'I am the WAY 
                                                               and the TRUTH 
                                                                           and the LIFE.

No one comes to the Father except through me."
John 14:5-6

So, are you too busy preparing for the season when you should be spending time with Jesus? If so, I ask that you try something.  Take a break right now and spend time in prayer telling Him how much you love Him, how you absolutely adore Him, and how sorry you are that you relegated Him to the chair in the corner waiting for you to get your act together.  If you will invite Him to come on over and join you, or better yet, you go over and join Him, I promise you that you will get all of your preparations for the season completed, and have fun - YES, FUN - doing it.

"For God so loved the world that 
He gave His one and only Son, 
that whoever believes in Him 
shall not perish but have eternal life.

For God did not send His Son into 
the world to condemn the world, 
but to save the world through Him.

Whoever believes in Him is not condemned,
but whoever does not believe 
stands condemned already
because they have not believed in 
the name of God's
one and only Son."  
John 3:16-18  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments and insights...